Ceiling lamp holder - question about weight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've just replaced a lamp holder (the existing one's thread had crumbled). When finished, it occurred to me that the weight of the holder, bulb and lampshade are all on the copper inside the brown and blue wires. Screwing down the 'upper cover' does nothing (as far as I can see) to take the weight off the connections.

Is that as it should be? Thank you.
lamp.jpg

Sponsored Links
That's how it is most of the time. It should be alright if you have wrapped the wires around the hooks on the rose.

You can get cable grips so that the rose cover takes the weight - or put a cable tie around the cable if you want to.

Hi. I've just replaced a lamp holder (the existing one's thread had crumbled). When finished, it occurred to me that the weight of the holder, bulb and lampshade are all on the copper inside the brown and blue wires. Screwing down the 'upper cover' does nothing (as far as I can see) to take the weight off the connections.
The brown and blue wires are usually wound around little plastic clips at the top and get 'clamped' into place when one screws the cover on - so that the weight of things is not being supported by the connection of the copper to the holder's terminals (and similarly at the rose end of the cable).

Kind Regards, John

Thanks, lads. I found a video that talks of 'strain reliefs'. I'll disassemble tomorrow to see if my new part has something similar.
strain.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back