Ceiling light confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm at a total loss with this and in need of some help.
I've been changing the ceiling lights in the house, all fine until I reached the landing light. This one is controlled by two switches, same as one downstairs that is fine.
The issue I'm having is the wiring, I have the following coming out of the ceiling:
Red x 3
Black x 1
Green x 1 (technically 2 but someone has combined them)

No matter what I try I either get no lights or permanent on.
The connector for the new light only has 1 Of each colour and any searches I do on it all refer to multiple black wires that i just don't have
Please help

Attachments

• 20190202_212657.jpg
    20190202_212657.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 125
Sponsored Links
Look at the photo or drawing you made of the old light wiring and wire the new one in exactly the same way.

Having said that, the red and black you have wired to the light is almost certainly the permanent live feed, and the cable with the 2 reds is the switch drop.

Thanks, foolishly I didn't take a photo as I've not had this issue with the other replacements

I've tried systematically swapping the reds and no combination of red works.

Any suggestions on how the combine the wires would be greatly appreciated as I'm totally stumped

You should be able to work it out from this:

"the red and black you have wired to the light is almost certainly the permanent live feed, and the cable with the 2 reds is the switch drop."

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back