Ceiling Light with no earth wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to replace a fluorescent light in my kitchen with some new lights but have discovered that there is no earth wire (house is quite old). Is it okay to fit the new lights and leave the earth wire from the new lights unconnected ?

Sponsored Links
You should always have an earth wire present, depending on what lights you are fitting (ie, low voltage transformer / class 2) they do not require a CPC (earth).....But if there is no earth present in your kitchen, whats going on in the rest of your house?

You could have a Periodic Inspection Report carried out to let you know..

Thinking.... in theory, a completely earth free environment is safer than a fully earthed.

But anyway, is it convenient to run a new seperate earth wire to do the job... or failing that just make sure no-one is ever going to touch the light...zzzzz.......

I think the plug sockets have earth wires, its just the light that hasn't. If there is no earth at the moment, would it not be ok to wire it up without an earth. I don't want to compromise safety though.

Sponsored Links
sterose said:
Thinking.... in theory, a completely earth free environment is safer than a fully earthed.

Yup.

IF you can absolutely guarantee 100% that everything in the environment, including the people (especially the people) will remain unearthed at all times.

Otherwise it's rubber suits for people visiting your house. Masona - sounds like a job for you, mate :evil:

hmmm.....i guess its time to get the professionals in. :cry:
Thanks for all replies.

Funny that but my house has no earth wire too.My house was built in the sixties.The ring main has earth but the lights don't.So i'm sure this is common for a house that age.
I went down to my local lighting shop and told them.The bloke said you shouldn't attach metal light fittings for obvious reasons.But he said his house was like it too.

ban-all-sheds said:
Otherwise it's rubber suits for people visiting your house. Masona - sounds like a job for you, mate :evil:
nah,I'm not into kinky stuff :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

To all you guys that have no earth wire in your lighting: If the cable is black or grey rubber sheathed and not PVC sheathed then I seriously recommend getting it looked at.

I've just rewired my lights that were like that and when I was removing the old cable some of the insulation just crumbled away in my hands.

The ring mains has at some point been rewired. There was only one socket that had old cable to it. Cable had no earth but there was an earth wire in the socket. I haven't located where it goes yet but I have a sneaky suspicion that it literally goes to the ground because it goes down the door frame. :eek: :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back