ceiling lights not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone help. I went to turn on the light in a bedroom and all the lights went off upstairs. I have checked the consumer unit and the fuse was not blown, I replaced the fuse anyway but it made no difference. I swapped the plug in fuse with another in the box but still no sucess. I have checked the light roses and the switches and there is no power going to them. Anyone any ideas what the problem is.

Sponsored Links
Could be that the fuse was not repaired properly or the replacement did not have any wire in it. Or you have a fault on the light and is blowing the fuse again and you are not realising. Have you tried replacing the fuse and leave the light switch off ?

Sponsored Links
I have swapped over the the fuse holders. So the one that may be faulty went to serve the downstairs lights to see if this was faulty. The downstairs lights came on fine but the upstairs ones still do not work. We have all the lights turned of (although cannot be certain because the upstairs bathroon is on a pull cord) We have check the light swiches and the ceiling roses and there is no power going to them

Have you checked the loft and made sure everything is dry ?

checked that it has 240v coming from it

All that proves is that the fuse works and is presenting 240v at the point the feeder cable goes off to the 1st light point beyond.

You need to check that the 240v is actually going down the cable and arriving at the 1st light point.

Make sure the red live away from the fuse isn't loose, better still remove it and check for oxidisation / burning or damage.

Once that's done and re-terminated you will then have to systematically follow the cable and check at each ceiling rose / junction.

Out of interest might anyone have fixed / drilled / worked recently anywhere along the route of this cable ?

Check the ceiling roses and give all the wires in them a gentle tug. Sometimes when the insulation is stripped off wire ends the stripper can nick the copper. You then have a thinner than normal piece of copper, also known as a fuse. The surge from a lamp burning out can be enough (eventually, maybe after years of faithful service) for that nicekd bit of copper to burn through. Visually it will appear perfectly sound in the rose.

So try the roses, check all terminals are tight (bet you find quite a few loose ones ...) and check noe have become detached.

PJ

PS: Do not try this with the power on

Thanks for the replys, will try again in the morning. I cant at the moment, I have no lights

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back