Ceiling lights turn on and off by themselves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya
After recently changing 5 out of the 12 Diall Halogen bulbs in our ceiling light, the lights now turn themselves out, and back on again on their own, it's not like being in a disco, they'll stay on for something like 20 minutes and then turn off for 20 minutes, then back on again and so on. They worked perfectly fine before we changed the bulbs.
Do any of you know what the problem could be?
Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Are these 12v lamps?
?

My guess is that you have put in the wrong wattage lamps and the transformer is now overloaded.

Check you have replaced with exactly the same wattage lamps as the old ones.

Yep, you have replaced the lamps with ones of an incorrect wattage, overloading the transformer. The transformers thermal cutout then operates, the transformer cools, the cutout resets itself.

Change the lamps for the correct wattage.

On some multi lamp fittings, it is common to find 10w capsule lamps, but most stores only stock 20w, so people seem to just buy and fit these (incorrectly).

Thank you both for your help. You're absolutely right, I had replaced them with 20w instead of 10w. I'll go and get some new bulbs now.

Sponsored Links
I just bought the wrong ones. I didn't check which I needed before I bought them, the shop only sold 20w and above so I got the 20w. It was a mistake.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back