Ceiling nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Am currently decorating our main bedroom which is a loft conversion with a plasterboard ceiling, previously painted.

Thought I would give the ceiling a freshen up with a noce newe white paint but have so far painted the bl**&y thing three times. First coat gave a lovely patchy effect, like you get when some has dried and some hasn't but this lasted 3 days. Painted again and same thing happened. My dad suggested that it may be the quality of paint as it is not a large area so was only using a cheap(isd) B&Q white paint for ceilings. Have since acquired a matt emulsion and painted again yet the same thing has happened.

Any suggestions or I might have to tell the wife I painted it that way on purpose as 'a feature'

Cheers

Sponsored Links
sounds like you need to used a oil base primer sealer coat ,you can get it in one liter tin fo small amounts about £6 or try oil based undercoat if you have any knocking about, there is plenty of ways to solve it .just depends what you want to spend,

Thanks Guys.

I was using a brush as I tend to prefer the finish.

Billyo - I didn't think I would need to seal as the ceiling had already been painted and I was just freshening up. I don't mind spending to get a decent finish what I don't want to do is to spend something that will not solve it

Sponsored Links
I agree about the finish..especially on a ceiling but using the brush is causing your problem, the edges are going off before you go back into them.

Using a sealer will give you a bit more 'wet edge' time but in this weather its going to be hard going.

Zampa said:
I agree about the finish..especially on a ceiling but using the brush is causing your problem, the edges are going off before you go back into them.
quote]
Zampa said:
Couldnt you use a medium pile roller instead?, you would get a flatter finish if your worried about the stippling effect, specially if you water it down.

Failing that, roll the ceiling, then go like the clappers and go over it with a brush, if that dont work, hire an Octopus. ;)

Cheers guys.

I think part of the problem maybe because I am painting white on white and can't easily see where I have covered.

Anyone ever used these paints that go on pink and dry white - what are they like ?

they`re good paints ;) but do you really have to have a brush finish :?: if a customer wants it ....it costs more because ...1- not many can handle a 6inch brush :LOL: 2- neither can they apply and lay off, keeping a wet edge going.....Zampa excluded ;) quite often the job needs 2 decorators. But if they want Barrow+Fall applied by brush, they can have it ;)

Don't need a brush finish, just prefer it, and as a small(ish) are thought it would be easier.

Perhaps I will try a roller and see what happens

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back