ceiling paint why did it fall off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello there ..can some one help me please ?...
just moved in to an 45 year old house. i started to decorate the nursery by stripping off the old paint on the ceiling with a scraper no probs..when it came to painting the ceiling i used polycell crack free ceiling paint. first coat went on fine..second 24 hrs later.the. it just started to sag off the ceiling just leaving the bare ceiling behind...any advice will be great..cheers stuart :(

Sponsored Links
Hi will it work.

I have had the same problem. :mad: I used the same crack free stuff over a ceiling that had textured paint on it. Came back next day and most of it had just sagged of the ceiling, :eek: textured paint and all. My only conclusion was that something had to be sealed first. In my case maybe the ceiling had not been sealed before the textured paint had gone on and the new paint just soaked in and pulled textured off. In your case maybe you should have sealed the ceiling after scraping some paint of, before applying a full coat of emulsion.

I would like to hear any other opinions. I wiiiiiiiil be watching :rolleyes:

Just so you dont feel toooo bad, ever had artex fall of as you are emulsioning a ceiling. :mad:

Im wondering if, after you scraped the old paint of, left a residue of distemper behind.

Did you read the instructions on the can?....did it mention what to do with bare plaster?

I'd agree with paper girl, the ceiling my need some form of sealer over it...sadly its a bit late....more scraping practice.

It might be worth ringing dulux help line to see what they have to say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back