Ceiling preparation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would be very much appreciated if I could get some advice on the following.

I recently removed some textured ceiling paint from my landing ceiling as it was flaking off. 90% of it came away by just peeling it off by hand without even using a scraper. The surface it has left is powdery and it's possible to see the pinkish plaster under it. Because of its condition, with cracks and many imperfections, I'm looking to re-do it with another coat of textured paint but I really need some advice as to the prep that I need to do first. Would it be best giving it a wash down, a watered down emulsion coat then applying the new textured finish or should I PVA it? I've taken some photos which will hopefully help.

Many thanks

72smpu.jpg

1yl25x.jpg

2iucd3b.jpg

Sponsored Links
It looks as if an incorrect coat of paint was added as the very first paint coat on the ceiling and the following coats of paint are what you have scraped off.
If the property was very old, then it may have had a first coat of whitewash.

At least if it comes off in your hand then if it were me, I would set too with a sponge and water maybe with a small amount of washing up liquid, not too much, then working a small area at a time clean off as much as you can.
Mix up some filler and fill any cracks and holes, allow to dry, then sand off.
Do NOT use pva glue!! Nothing will stick to it except a new coat of plaster!

The next option is what paint to use first, you could either go for a coat of zinsser gardz which will cover over any bad paints left on the ceiling, or if you think it has cleaned back ok, then give it 2 quick coats of Dulux Supermatt (non vinyl) or a third if you have to.
This is just a rough guide, but don't start slapping coats of other stuff on until you get the base coat sorted.

Thanks for the reply.

Zinsser Gardz does seem the way to go so I'll follow that route after washing it down a good few times. I'm not too keen on applying any ripple type coating so I'll see how good I can get it, with lots of filling, first of all.

thanks

redzed, the trick with filling is to use about a 4" wide floppy bladed filling knife and skim over fairly quickly building up the coats, it dries quicker.
Don't sand in between filler coats as this puts dry sanded powder over all your work. You will know when your skimming has covered everything.

Sponsored Links
redzed, the trick with filling is to use about a 4" wide floppy bladed filling knife and skim over fairly quickly building up the coats, it dries quicker.
Don't sand in between filler coats as this puts dry sanded powder over all your work. You will know when your skimming has covered everything.

Managed to get it all washed down and remove whatever that dusty residue was. All filled too with the use of the 4" filling knife that you recommended. Just needs a very light sand now.

thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back