Ceiling rose diagram - replacing light fitting after redecoration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just redecorated our kitchen and we unfortunately took the ceiling light off without making a note of where the wiring connects into the ceiling rose.

The rose wiring looks like this. How should the ceiling light be connected to it?

Sponsored Links
Is that photo actually off your wiring? If so, looking at that I would guess both those blue wires are for your light (one is switched live from those two browns joined together) I suggest checking with a multimeter or something first just to be sure you find the live that is only on when the switch is on (switched live).

Actually, looking closely at that photo can you tell me how many wires there actually is going into that connector block? hard to tell if there's some hidden wires at the back or not.

This is essentially the wiring diagram that suits a typical UK light wiring. (yours might be the last light in the circuit and not have the feed to the next light)

ceiling-rose-new-colours.jpg

looking at that I would guess both those blue wires are for your light
Electrical installation by guesswork is at best foolhardy, at worst lethally dangerous.

I suggest checking with a multimeter or something first just to be sure you find the live that is only on when the switch is on
Checking with a meter (which is an essential tool that anybody wanting to do electrical work must have) would take hardly any time.

Combining that with the equally essential understanding of how lighting circuits work (also something that takes little time to acquire) makes the overall task quite straightforward.

Sponsored Links
We've just redecorated our kitchen and we unfortunately took the ceiling light off without making a note of where the wiring connects into the ceiling rose.

Why o why do so many people make this utterly stupid mistake?

Because "o" so many people do not possess your superior knowledge and intelligence.
That's why they come on forums like this, so they can be publicly humiliated by superior beings like you.

But then, as usual, you didn't post anything to help the OP, but just to demonstrate your ability to poke at anything.

Because "o" so many people do not possess your superior knowledge and intelligence.
That's why they come on forums like this, so they can be publicly humiliated by superior beings like you.

But then, as usual, you didn't post anything to help the OP, but just to demonstrate your ability to poke at anything.

I dont agree with the stance of ripping into people looking for advice but its so easy to take at least a photo with your phone.

I'm sure the op will do that next time he removes a light fitting! But it's only obvious when you know.

The fact of the matter is, is that if you know so little about the subject you should not be touching it at all. Electricity can kill, not only the meddler but other members of the family as well.

The fact of the matter is that the OP did not make a note of the connections before he disconnected the wires.
How is that dangerous?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back