Ceiling rose - so many wires...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 3 bulb light fitting in a bedroom. I want to replace it with a single bulb fitting. I have a new rose etc, but... there appear to be 4 sets of wires coming out of the ceiling, & I think all have red, black & green/yellow wires (its a bit difficult to be sure as there seems to be some additional joining through using a connector). I've looked at another light fitting which only has 3 sets of wires from above. If there were only 3 at the one I want to change I'm sure I could manage to change it, by copying the other one. But what is the 4th one all about? Thanks. :?:

Sponsored Links
When you say 4 you mean T&E not including the ceiling rose?
Possibly a spur to bedside lights?
Second pull chord over bed?
If everything working okay, make a sketch of the existing wire fittings with the 4 cables and place these in the same positions in your new ceiling rose.

I would agree with Scoby_Beasley, but T & E he means twin and earth (which are usually grey with one red, one black and one bare copper wire.)

The other thing I would suggest is to get a marker pen and number each cable say 1 - 4 and still do a drawing, that way if you stop for a cup of tea you will still know which went where

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back