Ceiling Skimmed - questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Not hugely happy with a ceiling skim that i've just had done, but wonder if i'm being too picky. Basically the majority of the main surface is OK, nice and smooth, though there are "rough" patches (might need a sand - ok), a couple of slash marks (trowel? harder to remove) and an odd feather (wasn't there before!!) type thing sticking through some very rough patch, approx 2.5"x2.5" which was a bit dusty and is very pitted - needs filling. Where the ceiling meets the coving is fairly rough in places though, and will need cutting into the coving as it looks fairly untidy to me (not painted yet though).

Was done Friday but has only really dried out fully today.

Was going to paint this week but will call the guy back I think - as I didn't expect to have to go round with filler sanding and patching.

Or is this to be expected with a skim? Purpose of getting skim done at all was a crack - actually the rest of the ceiling was OK barring a few places that needed filling where the board was nailed to the joists (was wall papered before).

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
With a ceiling re skim you may get the odd pit or miss as no wall or ceiling will ever be 100% but if you have had a pro in it should be ready for painting with no further touch up work.

Trowel marks and the need for sanding is a big no no.

How big was the ceiling and how much did u pay? How long did it take the plasterer to complete?

Hi Paul

Approx 16 sqm ish, paid £110 and i am not sure how long was here exactly but about 4-5 hours i guess.

Its mostly the "detail" bits i am not happy with. No idea what to do about the feather thing either, if i pull it out am afraid it'll make a hole. Will have to ask them about it i think.

Didnt haggle or anything like that. Actually a nice bunch to deal with so i am sure they wont mind a call, just didnt want to be too picky, but the more i think about it...

Can't really comment on the quality without seeing photos but you'll need to leave it a week before painting to dry fully, then the first coat should be a sealing coat 50:50 water and paint.

Sponsored Links
I bet they won't be such a nice bunch when you contact them. You paid peanuts.....

I bet they won't be such a nice bunch when you contact them. You paid peanuts.....

Really? Well thats fu**ing annoying as cost was never a consideration with this, i contacted several local plasterers who never turned up or returned calls and ended up going via a website which seems to have plasterers all over the UK.

I am all for paying going rate but how to find out what the going rate is if they never get back to you.

What is the going rate then?

About £180. The cheapo jobs via those websites are usually caravan dwellers. Let us know what they say when you contact them.

Also its a two hour set 2.5 tops. What was he doing for 5 hours. The combination of too cheap and too long to complete works tells you everything.

I would charge 160 ish 110 was way too cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back