Ceiling speakers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help choosing 4 speakers for a shop? The present speakers are 6ohm. I am proposing using 8ohm speakers as I am assured the resultant impedance of 4ohms will not be noticeable. Looking to spend about £30-50 per speaker.

Sponsored Links
How do you intend to wire the speakers?
If you wire 4 x 8 ohm speakers in parallel the resulting impedance will be 2 ohms which your amplifier might not thank you for.
If you wire them as below then the load on your amplifier will be 8 ohms which will not bother it at all. Some amplifiers will also cope with 4 ohms without breaking into a sweat, and some have a switch on the back to match the output impedance to speaker load.

4spkr.gif

Perhaps I wasn't clear (typed the original post on my mobile, very slow and cumbersome).
I am wiring to two channels of a mini Sony amp and the resultant will be 4ohms per channel.
I have looked around and there seems to loads of speakers that are waterproof but all I need is a bog standard speaker that will give a resonable quality sound in the shop.

Perhaps I wasn't clear (typed the original post on my mobile, very slow and cumbersome).
Well done though, that would take me a week!

I am wiring to two channels of a mini Sony amp
ahh, stereo of course. Sorry I wasn't thinking outside the box.

and the resultant will be 4ohms per channel
Should not be a problem.

I have looked around and there seems to loads of speakers that are waterproof but all I need is a bog standard speaker that will give a resonable quality sound in the shop.
I haven't much experience with ceiling speakers, perhaps others will help.

Sponsored Links
I'm going to fit ceiling speakers in my new home and have looked at the ones on the market - seems like you pay a premium.

In my last house I put two ceiling speakers in my bedroom. I re-used a pair that had been previously installed (retrofit) in a car. IIRC I had bought them from Maplin based on the size. They were decent enough speakers but nothing special. I cut round holes in the ceiling and just laid the slightly bigger speakers on top. Then from underneath I use two round speaker grilles and literally stuck them to the ceiling with coving adhesive (aka plaster). Then I painted them white.

IMO they gave a pretty good sound, but then I'm no audiophile.

I know this doesn't directly answer your question but it may help your decision.

Thanks for your input Star and Dippy, by the lack of input from the forum it looks like I will have to resort to trawling through the wholesalers and the net.
P.S. Using the Net on the phone is not as daunting as you might think, I just connect to a wifi network and use it the same as sitting in front of the PC, you would be surprised how many wireless networks there are out there unprotected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back