Flush mounting speaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am installing my new LCD tv flush into the wall. As I am using 5.1 surround sound I want the speakers to fit flush into the wall.

The only speakers I can find are either very big, too expensive or really cheap looking. Does anyone know where I can get some for under £50ish each?

Also, the amp is rated at 4ohms and nearly all the speakers available are 8ohm. As I understand it, I can use the 8 ohm speakers but it will just be not as loud. Is this corect?

Sponsored Links
you could use impedance matching transformers or two speakers in parallel

JBL do a range of flush fitting speakers. Expect to pay though!

Also, the amp is rated at 4ohms and nearly all the speakers available are 8ohm. As I understand it, I can use the 8 ohm speakers but it will just be not as loud. Is this corect?
Yes. Your amp can drive speakers with resistances down to 4 ohms. An 8 ohm speaker presents more resistance to the amplifier, therefore it will still work but wont drive the speakers as hard.

If you were to present a 4 ohm amp with a 2 ohm speaker, for instance, the amp will try to drive the speaker too hard and damage both parts, because there isnt enough resistance for the amp to drive. It may help to understand that 0 ohms is a short circuit and will destroy an amplifier, no matter what its rating.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have been looking, still :) I found some speakers that I like the look of and arent quite as exclusive as the JBL ones.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_cmr608.htm
Do you reckon that these will work ok/sound ok?

Also, if I had these 8ohm speakers for the front and centre, and the original 4ohm speakers for the rear, would that make a difference? I am tempted to get 5 of these 8 ohm speakers and replacing them all.

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back