Ceiling switch went bang

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just wanted a second opinion.

For the last few month the 50amp ceiling switch has been left on, pulling the cord didn't work and I didn't get around o fixing it.
This weekend I changed the Triton Display Thermistor & the Outlet Pipe from our Triton Topaz t100si shower (see this //www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/triton-topaz-t100si-display-thermistor-question.298112/
post) then after using the shower there was a loud bang from the ceiling switch, which I then had to replace.

After replacing the ceiling switch everything is working.

Did the ceiling switch liklely go bang due to it being left on so long or could it have been related to the replacment part in the shower some how?

Regards
Mark

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/50amp-ceiling-switch-went-bang.299357/#2183280#ixzz1dgFKHrqa

Sponsored Links
Unlikely the switch going bang has anything to do with shower repairs. And using the switch is more likely to cause a failure then not using the switch.

Under the regulations it is suggested there should be a local means of isolation and there is a issue in some cases due to earth type using a single pole device for isolation so most will to ensure they have complied fit an isolator. But it is an isolator not a switch and not really designed for use under load or regular use. So switching it on and off each time you shower is more likely to cause a problem then less likely.

Possibly now that the shower is working properly, it is pulling a greater current through the cables, and as you had a faulty switch already this was the final straw. Check that the cables are the right size for your shower as they may have damaged your old ceiling switch through overheating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back