Ceiling too low to have bath/shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im wanting to convert a bedroom to a bedroom/bathroom (not ensuite). I want a bath with a shower in it. However, the builder noticed that the ceiling is quite low, and if you stand in the bath having a shower then your head will be almost touching the ceiling. He didnt seem to think it was a problem. What do you guys think?

To be honest, I dont take baths, a shower is fine -but Im thinking about the resale factor. Do you think it would have a negative impact trying to sell a 2 bed house with no bath?

Sponsored Links
In the SE of England most people seem happy with showers. But there are always about 25% of people who would like a bath.

What I dont understand about your question is why you think that you cannot have both a bath and a shower.

The ceiling height importance depends on your height. I am 5' 9" and few ceilings are less than 6' 6". That gives 9" to contain the shower head and the bath floor/base distance.

Tony

Hi Agile
I dont have the room for a shower AND a bath, so I only have one or the other, or a bath with a shower in it. When I do sell the house, its probably suitable for young families (its in their price bracket), so Im thinking they'll want a bath. I certainly dont want to devalue the house by not having a bath, but then I also want to be able to have a shower without bending down! The ceiling is just under 7', so by what you say it might be OK.

Sponsored Links
I had assumed that you were planning a bath with a shower over it.

Thats the normal arrangement and enables showers or baths at the users preference.

You mentioned a builder! We always prefer that you engage a plumber for plumbing!

A builder either does it badly or engages a ( cheap ) plumber who does it badly.

Directly employing a plumber usually gives a better chance of a good job.

But the whole area of building and plumbing is fraught with risks. Your builder does not drive a huge 4 x 4 at his own cost! Think of who pays for that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back