Celotex over joists for attic floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, planning to use 100mm celotex to replace the current 170mm itchy nasty to make working up there cleaner and easier and make plenty of storage space. With some new bracing up there making it more difficult to get around this has become a higher priority.

Have been told by celotex that I should use 12mm ply below and above the celotex to make safe for foot traffic and storage. This works out quite expensive (doubles the price per m2) and also doesn't cope elegantly with the 22mm longitudinal and diagonal strapping currently running over the ceiling joists. I have read that some people have put celotex directly on 400mm joists (mine are 600mm) and ideally I do want the celotex to go in between the web member connections to the ceiling joists so there is uninterrupted floor (and uninterrupted insulation!) and this would need supporting somehow that I don't think I would trust ply alone to do. So with this in mind I was considering buying a load more 22x100 planks and laying them diagonally with perhaps 400mm gap between each. This way the platform will be flat, the celotex should be reasonably supported and it will be cheaper for the materials. It seems ok to stand on the 22mm planks directly where they go diagonally across 600mm joists and with the celotex the weight should be spread more evenly. I'd probably still use the 12mm ply on top.

Can anyone think of or know of a reason why this would be a bad idea (apart from it isn't exactly what celotex recommended)? I've not worked with celotex before so not sure whether it will behave well doing what I propose.

Thanks for thoughts!

Sponsored Links
I stuck 100mm celotex directly on the joists followed by 18mm loft panels in my sisters house a couple of years ago and so far no problems. Not sure what the joist spacing was, and I left the 100mm insulation between the joists in place. As long as you are not going crazy with the amount of stuff you are storing, and there is not daily traffic from a very obese person I would say you will be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back