Cement asbestos and plastic.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A customer has asked me to do a number of jobs one of which is repainting a down pipe. The pipe in question has been painted before but a lot of that is flaking off . It is of cement asbestos type of material. At some point it has had a plastic replacement to part of it which the customer naturally wants decorating in with the rest of the pipe. I seem to recall masonry paint is suitable for the cement but wondered if there is a better primer to tackle both pipes if only so the whole job isn't dragged out too long. Finish will be black but I'm more concerned with the undercoats.

Sponsored Links
I would go with Zinsser Bullseye 123 re-coat in about an hour, and of course no rubbing down of the AC pipe!

Thanks for that . I've not used that stuff before but the write ups seem good. I wasn't going to rub the ac down although I was thinking a wet scrape on the loose paint. To be honest most of the paint has already flaked off but of course some is still clinging on. Nothing but dirt on the plastic.
One further question , I assume that the zinsser is ok with oil or water finishes? I was thinking of going with a water based satin finish as I've had success with it in the past and frankly I think it looks better than gloss.

Yes 123 is fine for water or oil topcoat and being water based should be fine even if the asbestos is slightly damp.
I would use a throw away brush and decant the 123 so there is no chance of contaminating any remaining with asbestos from the work surface. ;)

Sponsored Links
You're welcome 123 is good stuff not cheap but very versatile I always keep some handy.

Good luck and keep safe ( I am a bit on the cautious side where asbestos is concerned) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back