can you paint outdoor grey plastic pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Our builders fitted some grey waste pipes to the outside of our property, but the rest of our pipes are black.

Now that the pipes are in place, I was thinking that I should paint them so that they match the rest.

Is there anything that I can use to paint these pipes that won't flake?

Perhaps a primer? Also, when primed, could they be painted with black masonry paint perhaps?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
gcol said:
Clean em and paint em with black gloss.
and you MUST thin down first coat with 10% White Spirit.........................

Thanks very much!

do I just use any exterior gloss?

Do I need to sand or prime them first?

Sponsored Links
I use non-drip gloss, one flowing coat, unthinned.

Clean it first with white spirit, and a green pan scourer if any visible grime on it.

Just out of interest, do I need to prime the plastic or sand it first - or just clean with white spirit?

no just clean as I described and apply non-drip gloss with no undercoat or primer.

Yep..undercaots and primers tend to be brittle and casnt cope with the expansion/contraction of the plastic..gloss can

Dont rub then down, but if you use a green scourer pad when toy wash them down it will score the surface slightly and help provide a key

2 birds with one stone......

Crown Solo self undercoating gloss ;)

Doesn't need an undercoat.

Will take a pic of mine if I get round to it.

15 years old and not fallen off yet.

Growler said:
2 birds with one stone......

Crown Solo self undercoating gloss ;)

OOoooooooooo :mad: ...here we go again! :evil:

if the pipes have just been done, i would ask the builders to come back the black ones on youve paid for and not the grey ones they had left over from a previous job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back