Painting soil pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A female friend does not like the look of the grey soil pipe vent that she has on her bungalow (not pretty enough :D ) and she has asked me to replace it.
The walls it is next to are painted white (textured exterior masonry paint).

She wanted white pipe but our local suppliers do not do it in white (Grey/Brown/Black) and it's going to cost £60 just for the pipe & bits.

So as well as telling her what this whim is going to cost, I'd like to suggest painting it.
I already did when it was discussed but she said it flakes.

So can anyone suggest how & with what it would be best to paint her bog vent pipe?

I imagine that it would need rubbing down to roughen the surface, I have an electric sander so thats OK. But then with what paint?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Whats the surface now?..plastic?..painted, unpainted?

Unpainted Grey pipe.

Albeit a little mouldy - it will be powerwashed down first.
(perhaps a little detergent to clean off).

Plastic then...make sure its clean, give it a very light rub down with some 320 grade wet and dry...or the ordinary equiv..then two coats of gloss, no undercoat..thin the first one a little.

Sponsored Links
Zampa, will that last years if rubbed down etc?

Course..its the accepted specification for plastic pipes...to be hoest i dont even rub them down just clean then and two coats of gloss

I'm about to embark on painting quite a bit of plastic piping on my walls.
Some of it is grey and other parts painted, lots of which has wore off.

Do I need to get the existing paint off first?

rub it with wet and dry, then wipe with white spirit.

If it's adhering well enough not to come off, you can paint over it.

I prefer a fairly thick coat of non-drip gloss (no primer or undercoat) and mine has lasted for more years than Crafty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back