Cement falling into boarded storage loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I first moved into my house, the loft had a lot of belongings left by the previous occupants that were filthy from a cement/dirt mix falling onto them from the roof tiles. So I knew that being able to stop these cement falls was important for making it a useful storage loft.

I boarded out all the loft floor, and filled the roof with rafter insulation (http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-60mm-Polystyrene-Rafter-Insulation-Board-0-74-M2-Pack-3/p/210020). In addition to insulating, I had hoped the rafter insulation would stop cement falls from getting onto the stored items.

So a couple of years on I have a lot of stuff stored up there - but the cement falls continue to be a nuisance. It's possibly a bit better than it would otherwise have been, but over time the cement still gets through the gaps. So, numerous cement falls on the stored items; cement falling onto the landing every time I open the loft hatch; when I get a suitcase down to pack for a holiday, the first job is hoovering the cement from the outside of the suitcase, etc...cleaning all the stored items regularly would be less than easy as I have quite a lot stored up there, so you have to move some items around to get at others in the eaves, etc.

I had hoped to have a big storage space for which when I take items down, they come out as clean as they went in, and that's just not the case.

Has anyone else successfully solved this sort of problem?

Sponsored Links
I expect this is torching on the underneath of the tiles, and that your roof is unfelted.

When you have your roof renewed, there will be no torching, and a membrane will be laid under the tiles which will mostly stop dirt getting in.

You can tack underfelt to the rafters , starting at the top and working out so that any dust falls are carried out to the eaves.If you use a light colour it will also help brighten the area with good lighting.

You could brushing off the loose cement dust (or vacuum if you have a builders one) and then paint on some brick stabilising solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies. Yes it's an old unfelted roof. I think I will go with tacking light underfelt to the rafters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back