Loose fill asbestos - very unusual?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per some of my other posts, I'm in the process of trying to board out an old loft to store a small number of items in.

After my artex panic I've read about loose fill asbestos insulation - some of the worst apparently due to it being pure asbestos which will easily release fibres.

My loft is unbelievably filthy due to falling cement dust from the back filled roof tiles (I'm talking 1/2 inch thick dust!). Underneath the fairly new wrapped insulation there are small bits of loose insulation. To me this just looks like broken off pieces of an old roll of insulation, perhaps as it was removed to replace it (there are old rolls around the loft). It's hard to judge the colour but I 'think' it was yellow, now discoloured grey by cement dust.

I can find very little about loose fill asbestos insulation and can't even establish if it was ever actually used in the UK. But I gather from another thread that it's not something anyone's likely to come across. Although pictures I've looked at haven't really helped me to understand what I'm looking for.

We had a full survey done and the surveyor commented on several possible asbestos containing materials (artex and sofitd) and no mention was made of this (which is visible from the loft ladder) so I'm guessing that it's pretty safe to crack on.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Sponsored Links
MattB83, good evening.

One "loose Fill" used was "Vermiculite" may be worth a look on the net?

Other option is that the loose fill you have located could be over-spill from a cavity fill? [If installed in your property?]

Only way to be 100 % is to have the suspect material tested.

Ken

Thanks Ken,

I've looked at vermiculite pics and I'm fairly sure it's not that - the photo I saw they looked like chippings or a gravel type of material - as you mention overspill, that's exactly what I thought it looked like - there's not much of it which made me think it has probably torn off while being replaced.

I was confused by the HSE which describes asbestos insulation as 'like candyfloss' but to me all fibreglass insulation resembles candyfloss so that description doesn't clarify anything.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back