over lay new insulation? or clear old first? or insulated boarding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just bought a place - lots to do!

having a look at the loft insulation - its like pop corn! loose fibrous stuff, the surveyor said it was mineral based not asbestos

its definitely not enough tho! maybe 10 cm - just up to the level of the joists.

We would like to add some more insulation.. the question is should we remove the old stuff first? or just lay over the top of it?

actually I saw some insulated loft boards in Band Q - would that be a good idea?

whats the best idea?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
had more time today - + reading lots of google - and it seems that adding over it is ok - altho need be careful about wires

sorry a bit clueless about heating and insulation becos I have just moved back home to the uk after quite some time living in Asia - where its dam hot..

looks like I should add at least another 20 cm to it

special on at B an Q this week end. 9quid for a 7 meter by 1 meter 100mm thick roll.

http://www.diy.com/departments/knauf-ekoroll-loft-insulation-l728m-w1140mm-t100mm/182146_BQ.prd

i guess if I want to board it over I should add height to the joists first? prob by putting new ones at right angles?

That's what I did

My joists are not "standard" when it comes to loft floor panels
So when I added the extra joists, I altered the spacing to make it work out ok

Rather than joists "proper" I used board cut to height and reinforced top and bottom with barttens to form I beams. Once the flooring is screwed on it is fine

Sponsored Links
i went with the stilts from BnQ - actually made a pretty sold platform and quite rigid.. pre drilled the stilts - looks neat and tidy up there now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back