Increasing loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to increase the amount of loft insulation we have. At them moment it is insulated with some loose insulation, but I want to lay rolls.

Should I remove the old loss stuff first or can I just put the rolls on top?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've read you can just lay on top on loose fill. Personally I'd start again, unless there is loads of it up there.

You do need to make sure all cables are running above any isulation though to prevent possible over heating.

Thanks for the reply, there isn't though much, about 2.5cm (1 inch) thick over an area of just under 8x5 meters (~ 26x16 foot).

How would I best get rid of the lose filling, can I just use our Dyson, or should I use a shovel (of course being careful not to go through the roof :) )

Sponsored Links
Over the holidays I insulated my loft with roll. I wanted to start with a clean base so basically used a dustpan and brush and a few bin bags to get rid of any loose items which were between the joists.

I'm not sure how much your Dyson would appretiate sucking up loose fill. If you can stand in there okay and can make up some boards to stand on then a shovel would be ideal. I couldn't, hence the dustpan and brush. Luckily, for some reason, there are 5 doors in my loft, which i used to sit on whilst doing it.

25mm is not that much though, if it is even, so perhaps you could just lay over the top. How high are the joists? Mine were only 80mm so I used 100mm thick roll between them.

Easy job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back