Loft Insulation width

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am going to lay some more loft insulation over the top of existing Vermiculite. The Vermiculite is about 2in and the rafters are 4in. I intend to lay some 2in timber directly on top of each rafter to create a 4in gap, lay 4in loft insulation in this (to make a total of 6 in) and then board the loft over it all.

My question is that the space between the rafters is 35 cm and all of the loft insulation for sale seems to be either 40cm or 60cm.

Can i squeeze 40cm loft insulation in this gap? Something tells me this is not a good idea as it needs to 'breathe' or is it possible to cut it how you like? I was planning to use the 'sealed in a bag' stuff but assume this is out of the question as it needs to be cut.

Any advice/opinion gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
yes go for it , no problem at all with the insulation but the boarding out could be. Light loading only ;)

thanks for the reply. So its OK to squeeze the insulation into the gap.

Its only for boxes & suitcases etc so will ensure the load is light

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back