Cement questions (concrete and grout)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently created a cemented slope from my driveway to the pavement for my car. I used cement and sharp sand mixture ( mixing it all with a stick was bloody difficult ) and then shaped it with a trowel. I can now see miniature cracks here and there. How did I mess it up and what can I do to fix it now ?

I also need to level the cement applied to my outdoor conservatory brick wall as the builder who built it didn't bother levelling and it looks uneven. I am after a golden sand to mix with the cement to mimic what I already have. The plan is to apply this paste on top of the current cement and then smoothen it out.
Which sand should I buy?

I also have some slabs in my garden and the cement/grout in between has come off. What should I apply ? Rainwater also accumulates when it rains. Is there a way of making all the water being absorbed by the ground - maybe make holes in between the slabs at a few points ?

Sponsored Links
The mix for your slope should have been concrete, and it sounds like you mixed mortar.

You need small stones in it to make it stronger- look for something called ballast in the sheds. You won't feather it to a thin finish, but a car should cope with an inch thick lip (and if you feather it flat, it will crack)

It's cracking probably as it's not strong enough, and you maybe used too much water

It's a lot easier to mix with a spade!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back