Mixing cement and ratio's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi for all my cementing jobs I use the building sand from B&Q (because it very close to whare i live) and the blue circle cement.

I would like to know basic ratios for different jobs like:

building a wall etc:

general patch up jobs:

dry mix for in between slabs:

I usuall mix it 3 sand to 1 cement and add a bit of washing up liquid to make it all stick together. is this the correct way of doing it? I Also always soak the surface i will be cementing against with water.

Any other basic tips will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
My builder uses 1 part cement with 4 part sand (for building a concrete block wall) and he adds some waterproofer to that.
He also used two different types of sand........ normal building sand and red sand. So he has a 1:1:3 ratio of cement:red sand:building sand.

With rendering you can use 4:1 or 5:1 (depending on whether its the first coat or the second coat....... dunno which is which though).

Sponsored Links
I normally do 5:1 for general mortar,4:1 for pointing
And it's worth getting proper plasticizer instead of washing-up liquid,as the salts in it are not ideal to have in your mortar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back