cement render or hardwall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen is a mix of block and normal house brick with soft lime mortar joints. I'd prefer all walls to be solid rendered rather than dot dat especially on wall unit side. As i'm no expert but have reasonably adequate plastering skill (with sand/cement only) i was going to go for the battens on wall scenario,render between and level up with straight edge. Is it just personal choice whether to use sand/cement/lime 4:1:1 + sbr which i've used before, or is 'hardwall' more preferable (or more difficult)?... When it comes to the window reveals are the galvanised beadings the very same ones as used externally?

Sponsored Links
hmmm...beads should be stainless steel outside really not galv, but thats another thread ;)

hardwall maybe the better option, only say this becuase you mention you have soft lime mortar and the cement render maybe too strong for this scenario (could be wrong so wee what the other guys think)

hardwall will cost a bit more than S&C but if you're fairly competant at floating and using a rule you should have no problem.

going back to the beads for the reveals, it's quite common to dab boards into the reveals, they only need skimming then and will be nice and flat/square, also has the added benefit of giving you something to rule off when floating the surrounding wall as you make the boards 10-15mm bigger than the reveals so that they protrude from the window wall by the 10-15mm, you the float flush out to the adeg of the boards, bead up with thincoat beads.

make the boards 10-15mm bigger than the reveals so that they protrude from the window wall by the 10-15mm, you the float flush out to the adeg of the boards, bead up with thincoat beads.

Like that tip tm1 :cool:

Most the ones I've done at home so far have been just patched with Bonding and skim over. Tho I did have to do one window's reveals from blockwork (where the plaster was really bad so I took it all off).
I did think about board at the time - but fancied the learning experience, so did it more traditionally & used the thicker beads (corner & edge), Bonding and Multi.
Took me a bit longer tho!
So if I need to do any more, I will bear your tip in mind.

Sponsored Links
Sounds good to dot dab reveals thanks trowelmonkey.
1. Is this done this all way round the window (4 sides) and thin coat beads when undercoat is on?
2. Is it ok to mix 25kg bag hardwall all at once and presumably no other additives are used other than water?
3. I take it you should use mixing paddle rather than a cement mixer?
4. Is it preferable to rake out some of the soft lime mortar before plastering?

As well as the kitchen needing plastering i will also be doing the bathroom which i've taken back to brick. I was thinking of studding one wall (hardibacker) where corner shower and copper piping will be....

5.Can the rest of the bathroom walls (including other wall where shower will be) be plastered with hardwall. Walls will be tiled top to toe

I'm in process of putting new floor in both rooms but havent screwed them down as yet.

6. I assume the plastering process is done at this stage i.e when floors are in situ therefore plaster goes down to this surface level and not further below the joists?

Many thanks for any replies !!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back