Cementing in fence posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Back again...

I've been suitably put off the idea of using bolt down fence posts supports for my fence, sounds like they only any good for a 2 foot fence

so.... I like the idea of the postscrete stuff, putting in dry until the posts are adjusted correctly, then fill with water.

This sounds ideal if I was digging holes in nice firm soil, but....

Where I'm going to place the fence posts is where I am going to have to dig out the roots from a 9ft tall hedge, so I'm expecting to have to dig pretty deep to get them all out, and will have to disturb the soil where I'm ultimately going to position the posts in postscrete.

Am I off to another non-starter on this, will the ground be too unstable after digging up the roots to work the concrete into ? If I'm digging down there anyway, could I bury some sort of cylinder when I'm filling in, so that I can mount the posts in that.

At the moment, I'm coming up with a problem for every solution :rolleyes:

any advice on this much appreciated !

cheers
Roddy

Sponsored Links
hi, thanks for the reply

I'm not sure if I explained my question properly, where would I put the hard core ?

I've drawn a wee picture in case that makes it any clearer !

cheers
Roddy

I'm a diyer, but I would dig a hole deeper & bigger than post, put hard core in the bottom, to get post to the level required, then put hardcore found the post. Then fill with concrete.

Sponsored Links
but I'm going to end up with pretty much a trench rather than holes, when the stumps come out... so I won't have any holes to put hardcore around the posts ?

sorry if I'm being thick.... ! :oops:

Arnt your posts 6ft apart? So its a o.......o.........o etc

stop jumping the gun. your post holes will be deeper (or should)than a hole left by the roots of any hedge.

What type of hedge? Looks like a conifer hedge by the look of your first picture. If you haven't tackled the roots yet then as Mr.T says, you are jumping the gun.
The roots in any case are unlikely to go deeper than the base of the post, but if you end up having to grind out any tree stumps then you will be left with a load of loose stuff that will need compacting back down. All depends on how close the roots are and where you place the posts as to whether you'll have a problem or not. Get a mattock, get digging, come back.

most hedges don't have deep roots unless they are very mature. The roots are relatively easy to find and are usually within a 6- to 8-inch area of where they decend into the ground. This however is depending on the type of hedge that was planted,

so dig down remove what you can if some are big or hard to remove use a root killing chemical (you may have to re apply a few times over a few weeks till they are dead. then remove whatever else you can.

if you dig decent sized post holes and fill with a concrete mix and if possible brick or hardcore or whatever (far far better than postcrete in my opinion) then you should be good.

even if the soil is loose a large lump of concrete with a bell shape i.e heavier and flatter at the bottom will (according to the laws of gravity/physics )NOT WANT TO MOVE

great, thanks for all the advice, hopefully the roots wont be horrors! not sure quite what kind of hedge was in there, the biggest diam stump is about 7 inches

i'm waiting to get delivery of my 3m posts so will tackle the roots etc at the weekend. mighr even take some pictures for your amusement haha

Spent last weekend levelling and removing crap from the front garden, getting ready to lay turf, just for a wee change of scenery!

cheers
Roddy

Thanks for the update, nice to see the results of well received advice.

Looks good. Bit of a burglar ladder though :unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back