Cementing over DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm looking for some advice...any provided would be appreciated.

The previous owners of the house had a patio at the back which sat flush with the DPC. They also had a blocked gutter on that corner so puddles of water would congregate on the patio. As a result, the pointing has disappeared over the years.

Since then, i've had the patio taken up and a new one laid below the dpc, with aco drains.

The dpc is functioning, and there is no rising damp which is good.
My question is, is it safe to leave the dpc as it is, or would you point over it?
Reason i ask is because i think i have ants coming in around it.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Whilst re-pointing will stop any further degradation in this area and serve to tidy it up, it is unlikely to cause any lasting damage if it were left alone.

As for the ants, they will just find somewhere more suitable - like the bedroom. :cool:

If it was me I would point it up properly so it looks good and as noseall says to stop any further degredation.

6:1 + Plasticiser For any weathred perp and bed joints above the DPC
and 4:1 +Plastisicer for the DPC Weatherstruck and Cut Joint and below ground.

You will probably need Normal Orange Building sand for that to match.

Many thanks for the advice.

I'm assuming 6 parts sand to one part cement?

Thanks!

If it was me I would point it up properly so it looks good and as noseall says to stop any further degredation.

6:1 + Plasticiser For any weathred perp and bed joints above the DPC
and 4:1 +Plastisicer for the DPC Weatherstruck and Cut Joint and below ground.

You will probably need Normal Orange Building sand for that to match.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back