Censoring Cartoons

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just caught a news item. Apparently, smoking is to be edited out of the likes of Tom and Jerry cartoons. How ridiculously stupid. It's o.k. to be bombarded with filthy language, deviant sex, murders, mugging et al, but show a cat having a drag on a fag and the youth of today are in danger of being corrupted. Anybody got a shack on a desert island they don't want!

Sponsored Links
Are you suggesting that children's cartoons normally show filthy language, deviant sex, murders, mugging?

Or are you deliberately confusing permissible content for adults to watch, with suitable content for children to watch?

JohnD said:
Are you suggesting that children's cartoons normally show filthy language, deviant sex, murders, mugging?
No but some of them are a bit violence :!:

Sponsored Links
When Tom & Jerry cartoons came out, they were intended for adults not children, so some of the scenes do look a bit incongruous now they are relegated to children's TV.

Anyway, even if the story's true (which it probably isn't) then its not really going to affect anyone's quality of life.

Didnt they whine and moan a few years ago about certain cartoons being too violent - and this aparantly affected children and made them copy some of the things. Then they started picking on video games saying it encouraged violence, at around this time I used to play a game online called Quake2, and its true - it made me sooo violent that I went out, bought a rail gun, rocket launcher and a chaingun and went shooting aliens!

ban-all-sheds said:
yes what?

itchy and scratchy is very funny - its hilarious, them finding new ways for them to mutilate and kill each other :LOL:

But it hasn't turned me into a dynamite-wielding cat killer, has it?

So paddy and selma will loose their trademark Laramie lights? :( as much as i object to smoking, this is silly. 2 thirds of viewers of the simpsons are over 16 anyway, so it seems too OTT.

Sponsored Links
Back