Centerstore Indirect Unvented Cylinder Immersion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Got one of these in a rental property. From the schematic it looks like the electrical box at the bottom of the cylinder houses both the immersion thermostat and the boiler thermostat but there seems to be only one power cable going into there so can the immersion not be switched on and off separately as needed? I assume the boiler heats the water as per the timer and then if the water cools down in between the scheduled times the immersion comes on automatically? Worried about immersion coming on when hot water is not needed and increasing electricity bill but I don't want to turn the switch off if it affects the safety with the boiler control thermostat in there too.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Where is this wiring schematic you mention?

Show us photos of the switches and wiring in your home.

You will have to remove the cover of the control box, if you only have one cable it is either multi-core, or the immersion heater has never been wired in, if the immersion is wired in you should have a seperate isolator switch

I assume the boiler heats the water as per the timer and then if the water cools down in between the scheduled times the immersion comes on automatically
The immersion heater would only come on, if it is connected to and switched on at a wall switch/connection, when the water temp drops below it's target temp on it's thermostat, regardless of whether the central heating is programmed to come on or not. If it isn't switched on or even wired up then it wouldn't ever come on. It's not connected to the Central heating controls, it's just an on and off control depending on the water temp

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for your replies.

@JohnD The schematic is here: https://www.wolseley.co.uk/wcsstore...i/on/CenterCB_DirectIndirect_Installation.pdf although I meant the diagram on page 14, showing temperature adjustments for "boiler control" and "element control". I'll post some pictures of the setup here in the next couple of days.

@ianmcd Not too keen on removing the cover but the immersion is definitely wired in as we can get hot water even when the boiler is off. Just very expensive!

@Madrab So assuming the boiler heats up the water morning and evening, leaving the immersion switch on shouldn't hopefully use too much electricity heating the water during the day when there shouldn't be much usage anyway?

Everything may make more sense when I put up some pictures but my main concern really is whether turning off the power to the electrical box / immersion somehow stops the "boiler control" in that box from working causing the water in the cylinder to overheat from the boiler heat exchanger.

if your central heating is on twice a day and that is heating the cylinder up then that should provide plenty of HW, there should be no need to have the immersion on at all. In that scenario then the immersion heater is really only there as a backup and only switched on if the central heating fails.

The switched fused unit that powers the immersion heater should not interact with the central heating system and should be fine to turn off.

So assuming the boiler heats up the water morning and evening, leaving the immersion switch on shouldn't hopefully use too much electricity heating the water during the day when there shouldn't be much usage anyway?

Leaving the immersion on and the boiler off means you are choosing to use expensive energy when you could use cheap energy.

You only need the immersion heater when the boiler breaks down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back