CentraJet 13/17 Oil boiler problem... PLEASE HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

What a nightmare start to the day, Our boiler seems to be broken.

Its a CentraJet 13/17 Oil fired boiler.

It sounds like its trying to fire up but not igniting, and the orange light comes on.

was working fine Last night.

Tried it just with hot water, and with only radiators... same problem... makes a rumble (Pump noise) but no ignition, then Orange light..

Any ideas?

just what i need 4 days before christmas, esp when all the family coming here for christmas dinner.... Arghhh....

Look forward to any ideas or help on this one ASAP

Thanks again

Rgds

MA

Sponsored Links
It has nothing to do with water or heating, this is a burner only fault. Possibly photocell, electrodes, transformer, control box or oil supply.

When was it last serviced?

These boilers are horrid!!

Hi, thanks for the reply,

Ive checked oil, We have half a tank full.... i thaught we had run out initially....

It was last serviced about 18 months ago, and had a new injector fitted then.

What do you think my chances are of geting it fixed before christmas?

Rgds

MA

Changing the nozzle, jet, injector is usually a pointless exercise since no improvement is made, and nozzles 5 years old work fine from what I've seen.

If you were near me, it would probably be fixed today. I should get some logs in :( (As it happens I have, as that's what does the heating, I wouldnt rely on a wet central heating system :idea: )

Sponsored Links
Hi, the Nozzle/Injector was replaced like i said about 18 months ago, this was part of the service, as we had no history of the boiler at that time, cn as we moved into this place then.

Ive managed to get hold of the engineer who serviced it last time, and he`s on his way this afternoon... so hopefully will get sorted out...

as for the Logs.... I bricked up the old fireplace as we said we would never use it.....Ooops..... Now wheres my big hammer.....LOL

Many thanks

Rgds

MA

all fixed, it turned out ot be the photo sensor that was faulty...
Just when id got the hammer ready...

Thanks for the input...

Been told parts are hard to come by for this boiler thesedays, any thaughts on that?

Any reccomendations as to what to replace it with....

Rgds

MA

MasterAbacus said:
Been told parts are hard to come by for this boiler thesedays, any thaughts on that?

Rubbish. The burner is the Ecoflam Minor 1. Common as muck, in fact , muck itself.

Any reccomendations as to what to replace it with...

HRM Wallstar.

thaught id put this one to bed yesturday....

Right a second problem seems to have arisen....I need help...

since the boiler was fixed yesturday... nice and warm house again....

BUT, i have the slight smell of kero in the house....
I remember last year when the boiler was serviced, we had a similar problem, and wa told a gasket had worn out....(partially) so it was fixed with some silicone...apparently...

Now since the fix yesturday this smell is back, and i cant get hold of my engineer, so looks like it gona be a job for me...

I think if i remember correct it was the seal in the top half of the boiler....

Does this all sound right?

If so, seems an easy fix for me, cover lifts off, and then silicone the think up agian....

Can i use any old silicone sealant for this job?

Cheers in advance...

Rgds

MA

I have never seen a gasket in these boilers.

Take the outer cover off, then take the cover off the burner. Turn the mains off first to avoid surprises. Turn the oil valves off as well or you have a bleeding problem.

Get some coloured tissue, and carefully touch round each of the pipe joints until you find the leaking one(s).

Put some tissue about to catch the oil, and undo the joint, wipe it dry, and put a bit of sealer round the (I hope) olive, then do it up.

Then try it out and keep your fingers crossed.

Now youve said it, I think he silicond up the Cover on the burner... thats the thing that was warn out apparently... (Last year, not yesturday)

am i better waiting till the morning as for then the boiler will of cooled down.... once i get the cover off, ill inspect all the pipes etc...

Again I asume any kind of silicone?

As for olives in the pipes etc... ive loads in the workshop, ill find and fit some newones rather than silicone the pipes....

Could these vapours be a danger if i left the heating on all night?

It's not that hot, I don't have the luxury of working on cool boilers.

If it was the cover seal, it sounds like there could be a leak under the cover which I would want to find asap. Any silicone would do for now, but sealing up the cover would be better done with a strip of neoprene foam.

Don't bother about new olives unless you have spare pipe and all associated tools, it's a nightmare.

OKies dokies.... Heating off, Cover off....

removed cover from Burner, checked all pipes and they seem dry...

Ther is a strong smell of Kero tho, which seems to be blowing into the house as the air from the extractor vent, seems to be sucking in air... Im guessing but its probably just down to the direction of the wind...

Anyway looking at the two pipes, One is inlet and one is outlet.... dont know which is which, as the stickers have fallen off.. DoH!

From where the pipes enter the Boiler all seem nice and clean, but the area of pipe (Both pipes) that join the cupplers into the Burner area seem to be a little corroded / fuzzed up.... dodgy car brake pipes spring to mind here.... the run up to a unit that has "type BFP 21r3" stamped on it... and there more fuzzed up on the top area....

Any ideas? do I bolt it all together, silicone it up and forget about it till the new year, or should i try (Xmas weekend) to get someone in?

Rgds

MA

If the joints are dry, put the cover back on. You will be lucky to get anyone till next year nw, though I could come up by train I suppose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back