Central control of multi-zone CH with Honeywell hcc80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am planning a zoned CH system with 7 zones + conventional gas boiler + conventional HW tank, with central control of the zones.

My ideal would be a self contained box that does everything with an ethernet port onto a local area network so I can control it from my laptop but that just doesn't exist.

I do not want to use a wifi-based system that relies on a smartphone app like the latest Heatmiser Neo setup as they look vulnerable to network denial of service attacks - its only a matter of time before hackers get at their network services. I put this to Heatmiser support but they seemed uninterested.

Two possible setups that I can see:

(1) Heatmiser hardwired "network" kit with:

DT-N 12v network room thermostats
UH1 wiring centre
Heatmiser touchpad which provides the central control
Compatible manifold and thermal actuators
HW thermostat

Unfortunately heatmiser have stopped supplying their "Netmonitor" box which allows you to control the UH1 from a browser via hard-wired ethernet.

(2) Honeywell set up with:

dt92e thermostats
hcc80 ufh controller upgraded for 8 zones
evohome Central Controller
Compatible manifold and thermal actuators
HW thermostat
wireless connection to switch on boiler

On balance I prefer this option because it looks like Heatmiser are putting all their efforts into the Neo kit so future support for the older range of hard-wired kit is likely to diminish. However the Honeywell evo approach seems designed to integrate with the prorietry wireless protocol used for older honeywell kit so support may be secure for longer. Also, the Honeywell wireless protocol should be relatively secure from hackers.

I have some questions about the compatibility of the Honeywell parts:

(1) what type of actuator is required for the hcc80 ufh controller? 230 volt or 24 volt? The manual just does not say.
(2) can I fire the boiler directly from the hcc80? if necessary via an external relay. The suggested method of using a radio bridge seems OTT.

Any suggestions from anyone who has worked with the Honeywell ufh kit would be most appreciated. I have experience with older central heating controls in complex scenarios but not much with the latest kit.

Sponsored Links
I have the Honeywell setup at Home

Standard 230V two wire actuators are needed.

You use a BDR90 to fire the boiler. One comes with the Evo kit.

And all the DT92e's unless you order DTS92e packs.

Try Googling Lightwaverf Heating.
Not to everyones taste and it is still a work in progress.
But certainly nowhere near as good as Honeywell Evohome.

Eventually implemented a system based on Emmeti UFH controls, with separate thermostat/clocks in every room. Works fine and much cheaper than the Honeywell kit.

Sponsored Links
It'll work of course, we were doing these 15 yrs ago on a manifold, but you are comparing a push bike to a car.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back