Central heating biocide additive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wondering whether a biocide is needed in my CH expansion cistern. It's a conventional boiler and Y-plan setup with 6 rads. I have recently replaced and relocated the cistern.

The old cistern always had a yucky layer of 'soggy cardboard' of the surface. I would syphon it off, drain and flush the system, add F1 to the cistern. The yuck always came back.

The new cistern is a Polytank with the snap on lid. What I've done is drain the system, add 500ml of F3 cleaner, refill, run it for a week, then drain and refill (3 times) to flush this out. Finally I added 250ml of F1 inhibitor, via a radiator this time, and refilled the system.

Now after running it for a week there's a thin layer of scum on the surface. I will monitor this but I'm wondering if it gets worse should I add a biocide?

I'm also wondering if it could actually be a bi-product of the F1 inhibitor rather than biological growth?

And if I do add a biocide, which one? Fernox F7 seems ridiculously expensive and there's something way cheaper called E700 Biocide Concentrate.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back