Central heating - boiler valve replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've had a problem recently with my central heating. The upstairs radiators are fine, they heat up without a problem. The downstairs ones however only get warm at best.

I've tried bleeding the radiators and the pump and they all bleed straight to water; and I've balenced the system the best I can hoping that would sort it out. It didn't.

I today noticed that the pump doesn't seems to be on all the time like it used to. When it comes on it spins (I took off the front panel and can see it turning), but it then shuts off after a minute or two. I've noticed there is a valve box (see pic) which is attached to the same pipe as the pump. It has a manual override lever which when pushed initiates the pump (it has a fair bit of resitance when trying to push the lever to manual). I tried setting it to manual for about ten minutes and the downstairs radiators heat up red hot! Problem is that unless held the value just pushes the leaver back to auto after about 20 seconds.

I've attached pictures of the pump and valve in question. Am I right in thinking this isn't usual behaviour and pump should be working constantly? If so am i right in saying I will need to replace the valve...and if so is it something I can do myself or am I best to call in the experts?

Any help appreciated.

Jamie

imag0059e.jpg

imag0061eq.jpg

Sponsored Links
You are correct, it is the blue coloured valve that is causing problems and either the syncron motor or the actuator head needs renewing, the make of the valve can be found under the removable blue cover.

spraggo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back