Central Heating Not Working ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a Powermax 185 boiler, tested the central heating the other day and it was fine, a few days later I had to drain a radiator downstairs, then when I tested the heating it didn't come on ?

I've checked the pump, and it definitely works, as its turning inside the bleed valve. Although water is dirty. If I start draining the radiator now water doesn't get replaced in the F&E tank, so I'm thinking its one of the following problems....

* Cold feed blockage
* Big airlock in the system
* Pump blocked

I'd appreciate any opinions or help on this please.

Sponsored Links
If I start draining the radiator now water doesn't get replaced in the F&E tank

if thats true then it is probably the ball cock - or mains turned off.

then do you mean the f&e tank doesnt empty

Sponsored Links
Twgas,
When you turn the central heating on there appears to be a blockage/gurgle sound from the pump itself.

I've tried bleeding the pump and the radiators, and air 'seems' to release from the pump when you undo the connection with an allan key. the F&E tank doesn't re-fill when water is drained or released, which must indicated a blockage ??
I'm unsure on the diagnosis of the problem.

If you bleed upstairs rads do you get water out, or air then water, or nothing?

Sounds like the traditional cold feed blockage at the T where it joins the system pipe work from your vague description.

When I release the radiator valves upstairs all that comes out is clear water, no air at all.

If my description is vague, what other info can I offer to clarify the situation. How can a blocked feed pipe be cleared, jet of water ?

Thanks,

If you do have a blocked cold feed, the only proper way to clear it is to cut out the blocked pipe work and replace with new.

if your upstairs radiators release water when vented then you cannot have a blocked feed. maybe very sludgey and partially blocked but defintetely not fully blocked.

your info doesn't make sense though: you say you're system doesn't empty when drained (so a blocked cold feed sounds right) - but then you say water comes out of the radiator air vents ... so either one of these 2 statements is incorrect ...

Steve,
Thanks for the reply. I think it must be a partial blockage then, it sounds like its blocked at the pump, I'll have to get someone in to sort it out, I can't work out whats going on with it, and don't want to make it worse than it already is, as we have hot water, just no central heating.

Thanks,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back