No hot water or heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I drained the central heating as I needed to replace 2 radiators. The boiler was turned off (traditional boiler with cylinder). I left the central heating drained after replacing one radiator as I was going to replace the other radiator the following day. The boiler was put on for hot water only. The following day there was no hot water in the cylinder. I partly filled the central heating again and know there is an airlock somewhere as none of the radiators will fill. Can hear the water girgling but the hissing soon dies away before radiators have a chance to fill. Pump is working fine.

Why is there no hot water though. Hot water leaves the boiler and the pipe is hot but no hot water comes out of the taps, just cold. It is a bungalow and the cylinder is in the roof with the header tanks. Both header tanks are full of water.

Is it a coincidence that there is no hot water and what is the problem?

Sponsored Links
how on earth did you put the boiler on for hw only if the system was drained ?

cylinder coil maybe airlocked.
have you any bleed valve near the cylinder

Did you push the lever on the motorized valves over to the manual position and lock them when you were refilling?

I didnt think it would affect the hot water as the ch comes from the boiler and not from the cylinder

Sponsored Links
no but the water that you drained is the same water that heats the cylinder

So if I fill the central heating system back up then it will all return to normal then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back