No hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I hope someone can help. The story goes like this!! I drained the central heating system in order to fit new radiator valves. Refilled and bled the radiators and everything seemed fine, until I realised there was no hot water. Cold water from the hot taps and the cylinder was cold. The boiler is downstairs in the kitchen and I could feel that the "hot water" pipe from the boiler is hot up until about 2 foot below the kitchen ceiling, where it then becomes warm, then cool. As suggested on this forum I drained and refilled the system again to get rid of the (suspected) airlock around the coils in the cylinder. After doing that the hot water pipe from the boiler to the cylinder is red hot, but the cylinder is just warm, as is the water from the hot taps. Could there still be an airlock?? I have also as suggested been into the loft where the F&E tanks are, and fed water down the overflow pipe into the central heating part of the cylinder to try a break any airlock. Any other ideas, causes or suggestions would be really appreciated. Many thanks. Mark :)

Sponsored Links
Is it a fully pumped or gravity primaries.

Are there any motorized valves, and what type.

Sponsored Links
fed water down the overflow pipe into the central heating part of the cylinder to try a break any airlock.

How did you do that? Did you just pour it in, or do this:
fetch.php

That only works if the air is in thepipe you're pushing the water down, so have a look - airing cupboard sort of place.

You MIGHT have to "crack open" the upper connection to the cylinder to let air out, if there's no vent.
Be darned careful if you do, it's easy to wreck the cylinder. Use two spanners, one stopping rotation...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back