Cold downstairs radiators and hot upstairs radiators after draining central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today, I've drained our central heating to put X400 in to the system via F&E tank in the loft. Now, I've refilled all radiators. Turned the heating back on, and only the upstairs radiators are getting hot. There is 1 or 2 downstairs radiators getting slightly warm.

Our system seems to be a pumped gravity fed system. I've turned off the working radiators, to see if this will force hot water through to the downstairs ones with no luck. The pump next to the boiler is a Grundfos Alpha 2, and seems to be working okay. And it seems to be on its fastest setting.

Could really do with some help here.

Thank you

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Update: I turned up the water temp dial on our boiler to max so the boiler is working at max power. I turned all radiators off upstairs bar 1 to keep the boiler healthy. Now I've had 2 come on downstairs. I will now turn off the one upstairs, and keep 1 on downstairs instead while I try to get the rest downstairs working.

So hopefully I'll get them all working soon

Trapped air probably,did you vent the pump and cylinder coil ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back