Central Heating circulation problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi This is my first post so bear with me.
My father in law turned his central heating on a couple of weeks ago and has told me its not working properly. He's got 3 rads downstairs and 4 upstairs. The boiler is downstairs, the hot water tank and pump are upstairs and there is an expansion tank in the loft. When i checked it, the tank in the loft had 6 inches of hot water in it and the ball valve was working ok.
He has a service contract with SWALEC to look after his boiler so he had someone from SWALEC come round and look at the problem first, they told him the boiler was working fine but there was a blockage in the system somewhere and they would flush it out for £499 (+vat).
Not suprisingly he asked me to have a look at it.
I checked all the rad bleed valves and let a bit of water out of each one to make sure there was no air in the rads. Then i have flushed out all the rads by using closing the LSV and opening the drain valve, emptying the rad then closing the drain valve & re-opening the LSV to fill the rad back up. Doing this several times has flushed out loads of black sludge and the water is now running clear from each rad.
I can get hot water to flow out of each rad when i flush them out but as soon as i close the drain valve and open the LSV the rad starts going cold again so it seems like water isnt flowing round the system properly.
I ave also noticed that the flow and return pipes on all radiators except one are all hot. One rad has a hot flow and a cold return pipe so i'm guessing this is where the problem is.

Does anyone have any advice on what my next move is?
I'm thinking i should remove the rad where the problem is and try the bucket test to see if there is a blockage in the TRV or return pipework.
Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

Thanks
Gary

Sponsored Links
Take the top of the trvs off and see if the pins are stuck.

Can anyone advise if a hot feed and a cold return is a sign of a problem with the radiator being blocked, with the TRV being blocked or with the return pipework likely to be blocked?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can you bleed the rad and introduce some hot water into it? If so then the return is blocked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back