Central Heating Cold Feed and Vent....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys - I'm after a bit of advice. I'm a competant DIY'er but have little knowledge of Central Heating pipe layouts
I have an open vented system used to heat 5 rads and hot water cylinder. the e problem I have is the system is noisy and always needs air bleeding from the rads. The air is being drawn thru the vent pipe when the pump turns on, I've turned the pump speed down and I still get air into the system.
The Feed and vent pipes are on the left of the picture, The vent is T'd into the inlet side of the pump and the cold feed is T'd into the the return pipe (i think). Do I need to move the cold feed to be between the vent and the pump ?
Any help or advice would be appreciated.. View media item 58308

Sponsored Links
yes vent & c/f should be on the "inlet" side of the pump & within 150mm of each other

Ok thanks CBF.
So if I move the c/f to be between the vent and pump, does the rest of the layout look correct/acceptable ?
Is it ok for the vent to be vertical with the pump on a T from it or does the vent want to come off a horizontal run before the pump..

take the cold feed into the bottom of the pipe (cold feed down below the pipe across then up into the pipe) this should prevent hot water from gravitating into the f&e tank, the rest of it looks ok that i can see from that pic, take the red handles off of the pump valve & the manual bypass to stop anyone messing about & turning them off by mistake

Sponsored Links
Ideally the vent pipe should be teed into a horizontal pipe. As it is currently connected, there is an increased possibility of pumping over. This is because there is less resistance in the straight through vertical pipe than in the 90 degree bend to the pump.

Better still if your boiler permits this is:- View media item 29821
Do away with the 15mm cold feed, connect the vent to the F/E tank below the water level, and hey presto, no air can get in down the vent.
Once drained enough, it's an hours work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back