Central heating controller problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, Not sure if I should post this here or in the central heating and plumbing section?

Earlier this morning I went to put the heating on (Summer is over let's face it!). After about 10 minutes the boiler cut out. I couldn't get it back on by switching the mains on and off. I decided it must be the fuse in the FCU. I replaced the 3amp fuse with one that works and the boiler fired up. Only issue is now the controller and thermostat have no power!

If it helps the boiler is a baxi avanta 15H, controller is drayton LP241 and thermostat is Corgi STTRSN-C.

Hopefully its something simple I can fix. Cheers in advance!

Sponsored Links
These units, which were made by Remeha, have not turned out to be very reliable.

They can be wired, unusually for a heat-only boiler, with all the controls direct off the circuit board inside the boiler casing.

There is also a chance, if you have an outside weather sensor and a diverter (3 port) valve, that you have an 'opentherm' installation, which will work with the LP241.

I would start by removing the LP241 and checking for 230v on L&N. If its not there, chances are your circuit board is kaput (as you say the boiler power is otherwise OK).

Note that the circuit board on these delightfully well made machines (!) is beneath the plastic combustion cover which you shouldn't really take off unless you are competent in gas work.

The Avanta was pushed heavily on this forum some years ago by a vocal minority of regulars; you find them on all internet forums, the ones that know the least shout the loudest.

The owners of Remeha bought Baxi Potterton out of their £60M debt mountain, thus the renaming to Baxi Avanta. Which has now been discontinued.

Thanks for the reply!

Had my nephew (he is currently half way to becoming a gas safe engineer) have a quick look. He replaced a fuse on the circuit board and all works fine again. He done a few checks on the electrics and all is good! He said if it blows again he will ask someone come take a look.

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back