Central heating/ hot water/ boiler Learning in a new house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've moved into a house with an older type non-condensing boiler. I think its a potterton profile (not sure of the exact model). The previous owner told me that its a very good boiler and that there is no need to replace it.

In my previous house, I had a condensing type combi boiler with no tanks. This one has a feeder tank and cold water tank in the airing cupboard and a hotwater copper tank wedged between first and ground floor airing cupboard. The CH is run via pump and hot water is gravity fed.

I am planning to install a jacuzzi bath (there is already a pump based disabled bath) and a steam shower cubicle. Would this boiler be able to support a single person jacuzzi bath with its little tank (18 inches/46 cms in diameter and 35 inches/ 90 cms long approx)
Do steam shower cublicles run off cold feed only or do they need hot water as well (combi-pumped or gravity fed)?

I also need to add a couple of towel rails and I've found that there are 2 drain points next to each other coming off two 22mm CH pipes under the boiler. Why are there 2 drain points (I only had 1 before!!)?

Also since we don't need the heat for the summer, can I drain the radiators and would the boiler work in hot water mode without any issues? This is to ease me with the towel rail work on the CH. Please also advise if there would be any boiler/ radiator issues with an empty CH system.

Lastly, I need to take the pumped diasled bath out but I do not know how to switch off the hot water, I could not see any valve around the copper tank and there are gate valves on the cold water tank and feeder tank but closing them does not stop the hot water. Could you please advise where to look to stop hot water?

Sorry for the lengthy mail and thanks for your replies in advance..

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help guys. Must have blinked and missed all the replies..

sorry PSA but I think your query is an ask too far. I'm only a houseowner and female to boot but I know some of the answers to your rather basic questions and your other questions are just impossible to answer without somebody 'professional' looking at your layout. There are some simple possible answers but who knows if they are correct as your post is rather flaky. Read the blurb on the steam cubicle it will surely tell you what is required.

I think you should be pleased that no one other than me replied as you can't even be sure of your own boiler make let alone the model.

Please don't do the work yourself. best luck.

NO you cannot drain the radiator's & still use your boiler for hot water , the pipe that enter's the bottom of the cylinder is you cylinder cold feed / the should be a valve on this which will turn your h.w off ??? iin loft it may not work , cylinder 117 litre's approx , heated by gravity , no temp control of h.w ???? not economic !!! boiler if it is not broke do not fix it , every thing else as per west elevens good post !!!

Sponsored Links
Please get someone round to look at it all for you, if you dont know the basics and are confused by draining it down i wouldnt recommend playing around with your system it could end up costing more to put your work right than doing it in the first place

I am amazed to find so many "pop Idol" judges replying to my post. I am not into beating my own trumpet but before you carry on judging myself and others seeking help, let me tell you that I installed the whole central heating system in my previous house minus the gas work, had it commissioned with 0 issues, repaired my combi boiler to the extent of heat exchangers, installed 2 baths + showers, 1 WC. I can go on but I think you get the idea..

I did mention that I've only worked with combi boiler before (in my previous house) which is a pressure based system, so I was only trying to explore the possiblities of an older type boiler.. I was only trying to gather some information on a few luxuries that I've not installed before like Jacuzzi, steam shower etc so I can get them right first time with my old boiler but hey! never thought of so many "professionals (not) on here with chips on their shoulders".

Don't bother to make up as I got some good help from a 'real' forum.

P.S. westeleven: FYI, the steam showers come with both cold and hot/cold feeds, you might want to think of your requirements as well in addition to your blurb addiction.

Another helpful post...lol

The issue was the polarity of wires in the plug. Non issue in the end really as I re-did the whole system (you need to read further: new pipes, rads, magnaclean) and had it commissioned.

However I do not recommend Ravenheat boilers to anyone.

P.S. 6 years into DIY and still learning..

Wow, well done PSA :!: sounds like you certainly aren't afraid to tackle most jobs. I do hope that you had it all supervised by the Building Inspector and declared your alterations (as asked) on the Sellers Property Information Form when you sold your property. Most conveyancers do make a special point of asking if any self home improvements have ever been carried out and if so, what. So brave of you to do it all yourself especially in these litigious times when cases have been fought and won by unhappy purchasers against their vendor not declaring 'things'. Buyer beware and 'rely on your own survey' does not count when the vendor does actually know pertinent facts. But don't let that little fact put you off in the future, more power to your elbow. :cool:

Thanks westeleven

I still own my previous house. Renting it to my friend currently.

There is no "wow" factor to any of my DIY work which is my hobby to be honest. I believe if I can do it, so can anyone else. I guess an engineering background helps. The disadvantage is that I take more time to do a job and the advantage is that I can work towards a best possible finish.

Its just a matter of learning how the system/ tools work and you would be amazed to find how easy these jobs are.

Thanks westeleven

I still own my previous house. Renting it to my friend currently.

There is no "wow" factor to any of my DIY work which is my hobby to be honest. I believe if I can do it, so can anyone else. I guess an engineering background helps. The disadvantage is that I take more time to do a job and the advantage is that I can work towards a best possible finish.

Its just a matter of learning how the system/ tools work and you would be amazed to find how easy these jobs are.

Suprised such a clever person needs any help from a crap forum like this, the time you have spent on here you could have built yourself a nice little space shuttle, I made my own, Its just a matter of learning how the system/ tools work and you would be amazed to find how easy these jobs are, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6,5,4,3,2,1 ........ shiitt ran out of diesel, think I should have used nuclear, will go and ask on that forum..................

Looks like I hurt someone's feelings...

pedantic: Let me guess, are you a little plumber who rakes in loads of unethical money off people's miseries. You are just upset as I refuse to be one of them :)

A forum can only be as good as its posters and you are trying to do a good job in getting rid of all the nice posters here willing to share information/ seek advice..

Plumbing is easy folks, that is pedantic. Now let the "vindictive" man rant.

Looks like I hurt someone's feelings...

pedantic: Let me guess, are you a little plumber who rakes in loads of unethical money off people's miseries. You are just upset as I refuse to be one of them :)

A forum can only be as good as its posters and you are trying to do a good job in getting rid of all the nice posters here willing to share information/ seek advice..

Plumbing is easy folks, that is pedantic. Now let the "vindictive" man rant.

It's like fishing in a barrel on here :cool: not even got my keep net out and ones on the hook allready :LOL: lovely, keep em comeing :arrow:

Can someone translate that for me (after the spell check of course..lol)?
:) :)

Is that it, :( severely dissapointed...........was hopeing for some mileage out of this one :cry: will put my rod hook and maggots away....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back