Central heating install query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had a new central heating system installed last year, moving from an old Ideal Mexico Boiler in the kitchen to a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 3000 installed in the eves of the house along with a Telford Tempest Horizontal tank.

For various reasons the installation had to be in the eves of the house and it was "challenging" to get everything in but it all fits and in general has worked well. However, I've had some niggles with the boiler recently and me and the installers aren't on the best of terms right now and the tank has started leaking.

I spoke directly with the manufacturers (Telford) and showed them a video of the problem. They said the tank needs to be replaced and they will send out a new one...........so, here's my questions.

I'm assuming the installers are liable for removing the old tank and installing the new one given this is under a year old?

Thanks

Graham

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hmmm, difficult one. Is it a manufacturing defect? If so, are the installers automatically liable for the manufacturing defect and therefore the labour for a remove and re-install? Not sure about that one.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to expect a discussion with the manufacturer and an agreement reached that they have the cylinder replaced, rather than just sending out a new one.

Sponsored Links
If we had supplied/fitted a cylinder that then had a manufacturing fault I would expect to be sorting out the replacement.
Would also at same time sort out who was going to fit replacement . If we were asked by manufacturer to fit we would then quote them for the work.
We do a certain amount of warranty work for Grant (mostly replacement pumps expansion vessels prv's ect) as you would expect we always get paid for warranty work on boilers we have installed ourselves.

Yes, installer issue to rectify at no cost to you. I would expect them to come to agreement with Telford regarding costs.

I hope the installer hasn't stitched himself up by running all his pipework around it. Also hopefully you have left it accessible ie- not boxed in or built a cupboard around it, trap hatch too small etc. I'm not sure you could claim those making good costs from the installer. I have a customer who boxed in a Megaflow and boiler in the corner of the utility (it was supposed to be a cupboard)- no access to anything, I no longer work for him as I emailed a disclaimer regarding warranty and defects period being void. Sure enough the mega flow stopped working - OH stat or MSZ, that's fine put the immersion on, that's right you can't as you boxed that in too

They had to open up the back of a cupboard to get the cylinder in and then put it back as it was. However, I think they put the cylinder in first then put the pipework and boiler in afterwards so it could well be boxed in. I still have access via a smaller cupboard.

Pictures speak a thousand words though....

First picture shows how I access the boiler. The next four show the system and leak. The last one is a picture of the larger cupboard they had to open up to get the cylinder in then they fixed it back up.
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image6.jpeg

Someone's got a rubbish days work soon, oh well this **** happens to all of us. This is good example of how trades don't earn anywhere near what the public thinks.

That said get them to insulate all that pipework as it should be.

What's that mounted on the rafter a camera?

Yes, it is a camera, the system was losing pressure and rather than crawl through the cupboard to check I installed an old camera I had lying about to keep an eye on it. Thanks fully I've found the leak and the pressure is stable now, though Trace and Access isn't cheap and I've now got a missing tile in the bathroom...............hopefully, that won't be a fight with the insurance company!!

Update.

The installers are saying it's a manufacturing fault, not an installation fault so it's up to me to deal with it directly with the cylinder manufacturer.

I'm unsure where the ownership of this problem lies...any thoughts?

Yes, it is a manufacturing fault although that's their problem to sort out with Telford not yours.

Telford will probably have a set figure they pay for cylinder swaps under warranty, if this doesn't cover the installer that's not your problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back