Central Heating Intermittently Staying On

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I am stumped - for some reason my central heating intermittently stays on even when the room thermostat tells it to turn off. I have checked the wiring the the thermostat call drops to 0v correctly when its meant to turn off, and 80% of the time the heating will turn off fine within a few minutes, but 20% of the time the heating stays on.

I am no expert with central heating, but following the wires it looks like the thermostat effectively controls the mid position actuator (BGMVSP-23), could it be that this is faulty?

Any tips??

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
It is possible that the 3 way valve actuator is sometimes sticking leaving the central heating port open and the boiler is occasionally firing up as normal because there is a call for heat from the hot water cylinder thermostat.

It could be a duff actuator, which sits on top of the valve assenbly, or the actual valve itself may be gunged up and stiff.

Thanks for your reply. Is there anyway to test / fix, or is it a case of popping to screwfix for a new unit?

Sponsored Links
The actuator part can be opened or removed so you can look at what it's doing as it operates. Beware of mains voltages inside though.

After lifting off the actuator you should also be able to see if the valve itself is free to move (it doesn't rotate far, much less than 90 degrees).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back