Central Heating staying on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help. Our Central heating is coming on / staying on permanently.

As soon as power is applied to the circuit / system the pump starts running and the boiler fires up even if all controls are not calling for heat. During periods set as off on the main control panel it still comes on (and is even running when the main control panel is turned off).

At first I thought perhaps the frostat was calling for heat so turned it right down and then even disconnected it but it made no difference (? would disconnecting it have completely eliminated its effect of calling for heat?).

I've also removed the main control panel, turned the main house thermostat right down, turned the hot water cylinder thermostat down and then taken it off the tank. But still with all these controls not calling for heat the pump runs and the boiler fires up.

Any ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
Martin007 said:
Hope someone can help. Our Central heating is coming on / staying on permanently.

As soon as power is applied to the circuit / system the pump starts running and the boiler fires up even if all controls are not calling for heat. During periods set as off on the main control panel it still comes on (and is even running when the main control panel is turned off).

At first I thought perhaps the frostat was calling for heat so turned it right down and then even disconnected it but it made no difference (? would disconnecting it have completely eliminated its effect of calling for heat?).

I've also removed the main control panel, turned the main house thermostat right down, turned the hot water cylinder thermostat down and then taken it off the tank. But still with all these controls not calling for heat the pump runs and the boiler fires up.

Any ideas anyone?

Is this a fully pumped system with a 3 way valve or 2 x 2 port valves? If so I would suspect that the microswitch has gone on a valve head and is supply power to the feed to the heating constantly. If this is the case it will need a new valve head. I recommend getting it professionally inspected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back