central heating leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I had the front of my house repainted three years ago. Following recent storm I just found the paint flaking in one area. Picture attached (lower left hand corner). A local builder came to have a look and because there seems to be green mould on the patch where paint is missing, he suspected there may be a leak behind it. The only thing in that area in the house is central heating pipes - there is a radiator just below the window and the pipe goes inside the walls (passing the area in question I guess). But from inside the house there is no sign of leak (no water marks on the interior wall or ceiling downstairs) and the heating is working fine.

How can I tell whether the heating pipe inside the wall is leaking or not? it is a quite old Glow Worm system, but is working fine and serviced by BG annually. I am hoping this is just some paint problem cos there were some bubbles in that area before and the last painter just painted another coat on top of it without treating it 3 years ago.

Many thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• B972FC65-38AA-44C7-9A89-156AB8649E65.jpeg
    B972FC65-38AA-44C7-9A89-156AB8649E65.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 81
Sponsored Links
If it were to be a heating leak chances are it would show signs in the room directly below where the leak was long before it would manifest outside. Feel around the radiator for any signs of water especially the valves. Maybe pull a floorboard up and have a feel aroung underneath their may well be one disturbed near radiator that has been up to lay pipes. But sytrongly suspect it just needs repainting outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back