Leaking boiler after draining central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just redone some plumbing in my house, basically changed the pipes between the radiator in the kitchen and the central heating pipes, we did not touch the boiler whatsoever. Now there is a leak coming from inside the boiler. once the pipes were replaced we filled the central heating pipes with water, the pipes that were changed work fine unfortunately for some reason there is now a very small leak coming from the central heating return pipe. I have no idea why this is happening and was hoping someone would be able to give me some ideas.

1) Boiler make / model (gas or oil) = Gas Baxi Combi 80e

2) What is / is not happening = Leak from the hot water return pipe (I think its from there anyway)

3) Has ANYTHING else been done / changed recently = Just the old pipes nothing to the boiler

4) When did it (problem) start = Once the water was turned back on

5) When does it happen? eg, heating coming on or going off = All the time

6) Anything else you feel may be of relevance = Just the new pipes but I don't think they woul make a difference

8 ) DO NOT post a question under this message, this is for information only

9 ) try to remember we are only seeing what you type not the job !!

Sponsored Links
auto air vent

aav.jpg

yours is black if i remember

Thanks for the quick response, but could you give me a bit more information. Should I just press the auto air vent, also can it be accessed easily??

its on the pump not that different to the pic close the bit that leaks
then have it cleaned out or replaced ;)

have you got the book ??

Sponsored Links
I've got the book and had a look, is it easy to get replacements for them??

The boiler is only a few months old, so was the air vent damaged because of what we did today??

Also would I need to drain down the boiler before I take it out?

there are two isolation valves under the boiler and a drain if you have the book read it it tells you where they are

close the vent for now but DONT leave it like that

prob full of cr*p (tech term)

spares are not difficult to come by ;)

My housemate who is also the landlord is a bit aprehenisve about touching the boiler. He did ask one question though, if it is the auto air filter then should the leak be coming from there or elsewhere.

At the moment its bone dry around the auto air vent, we think the leak could be coming from somewhere lower down than the air vent.

I'm tempted to take a look at the auto air vent, and do what you say as it seems logical. Only problem is the land lord isn't to happy about that, he said he's going to phone the plumbers who fitted it and get them to take a look at it.

I'm afraid I can't post a pick haven't got a camera, but I'm going to download the technical instructions and highlight the problem on there. Could you give me an email address that I can send it to.

I've sent the email, hopefully you should be able to see a bit more clearly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back