Central Heating Maintenance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to carry out a central heating maintenance on my own system.
Could anyone point me to a check-list I could follow, or just list one here? I obviously don't mean the boiler, I have that serviced annually, just a reminder of what to inspect. i.e. TRVs', joints, seals etc. I checked the FAQs' but there is only a list for Gas boilers.
cheers

Sponsored Links
If it is serviced properly there is nothing you need looking at.

what about winding TRVs up and down to discourage the pins from sticking? not moving most valves to prevent the gland leaking? Not turning any valve spindle right to the stop to prevent it seizing? feeling the pipes round the 3-port valve to detect if it is sealing?
Bleeding rads and noting if there is a buildup of gas or black oxide? feeling rads to detect cold patches? feeling F&R pipes to see if the temp diff feels about right? Emptying a magnaclean? Checking the F&E ballvalve is not sticking, water level looks right, no unsightly fungal growths or mud in there? looking at the nail in the jamjar to see if it is rusty? topping up the inhibitor if required? looking under all the rad valves for signs of leakage?

I used to have a full main contract on my CH; I've since decided that although I need to have my boiler professionally serviced, there's nothing else I can't do myself.

I am a householder not a pro

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back