Are maintenance contracts worth it?

Sponsored Links
A proper service (dependant on make and model) will consist of
changing seals as reqd, checking combustion co/co2 ratio, checking working and burner pressure where applicable, gas rate, clean siphon/trap, clean heat exchanger, check ignition system and flame failure device, check for leaks, check expansion vessel pressure, check operation of pressure relief valve, checking flueing and ventilation etc etc.

Why not ollski :confused: Exactly what I do for a service, apart from charging extra for any replacement seals.

The only ones that take longer than most, well for me anyway, are the Isar/Icos, but would still aim to do all of the above in 45mins - 1 hr. I'm quite happy to be on £55/hr with between 6 and 8 services a day when I have a servicing week.

Bg (ollski) can't understand those who do the job properly, it's pointless arguing dave. :rolleyes:

For some reason the picure in my head of cleaning out the hx was inernally rather than exernally :rolleyes: .
I'd never touch he prv though.

I do have to say that I do not normally check the PRV for obvious reasons unless I discuss with the owner and he accepts that I might need to replace it at £23 extra.

Tony

Sponsored Links
No, but it's not a car.

If it's a case of "it's still hanging on the wall - radiators are hot - warm water coming out of the taps - it's ok..." then I can do that. I'm quite a big fan of "If it ain't broke - don't fix it"

I guess what I am trying to determine is what exactly are they going to do when they "service" it?

Does anything require lubricating?

changing seals as reqd, checking combustion co/co2 ratio, checking working and burner pressure where applicable, gas rate, clean siphon/trap, clean heat exchanger, check ignition system and flame failure device, check for leaks, check expansion vessel pressure, check operation of pressure relief valve, checking flueing and ventilation etc etc. A boiler that has not been serviced at the reqd intervals invalidates the warranty (same with cars) and some models if neglected have been known to catch fire! You have been warned. . . . . .

im interested to know which models catch fire?

the majority of that list is visual or takes at most 5 minutes, modern boilers require **** all "servicing". usually the hardest part is getting the fecking trap out, cleaned and back in without a leak.

One thing all owners of new/newish systems could do is ask the bloke/bint doing the servicing is to check the inhibiter level.

Although to be able to do that it, helps if the original installer who commissioned the appliance, has made a note of which make of inhibiter that is circulating around your system.

Tim

clean heat exchanger, check operation of pressure relief valve,.

On a 55 quid service??, yeah right.

sorry telegan boy, I should've said excluding bg.

if you open the prv without good reason you are a **** moron.

Not if you have over 50 prv's on the van Thickso.

why would you need so many dangerlouse? i have around seven prv's which cover most boilers excepting the cheap ****e, i still dont feel the need to change it just for the sake of it, especially on a clean system. i feel even less need to open it and not change it.

I don't think it matters if you have none or a million the comment stands true. Those leblancs must be a pita when you have to replace an 80 quid prv on a 55 quid service every time.

I don't think it matters if you have none or a million the comment stands true. Those leblancs must be a pita when you have to replace an 80 quid prv on a 55 quid service every time.

I don't do elm le blanc and I don't charge £55 for a service. :LOL:

Out of interest Dangermouse what boiler does catch fire if its not serviced .
It would not be by any chance one of those boilers you say is the best around eg a Vaillant.
I have never heard of or seen any other make of boiler that catches fire through lack of servicing

Out of interest Dangermouse what boiler does catch fire if its not serviced .
It would not be by any chance one of those boilers you say is the best around eg a Vaillant.
I have never heard of or seen any other make of boiler that catches fire through lack of servicing

not technically a boiler but a multipoint water heater such as the main medway, (pre thermocouple interuptor o/heat). seen several catch fire when not serviced and burner stays on after hw tap turned off. Some boilers using the gianonni ht/exch rubber door seals have caught fire when not been changed at correct service intervals. . . . . ;)

Although pro Vaillant, I have seen the seals go before the first annual service and nearly take out the entire boiler :eek:

I feel Vaillant has withdrawn the safety notice over these far too soon, as I still come across some with the original seal that have missed the recall.

The only boiler that I have had firm evidence of that has caught fire was an Ikon.

Burnt the customers bathroom out as well. When I enquired at the outcome of this with the customer, she said that it had all been kept quiet by the manufacturers and no reason was forthcoming :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back